EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Dr. Chu received his medical degree from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago as a part of their Honors 6–year BS/MD program where he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed his internship at Evanston Hospital, followed by a residency in ophthalmology at Duke University Eye Center. He furthered his medical training with a one-year fellowship in Minneapolis where he specialized in cornea and external disease, refractive, glaucoma, cataract, and lens implant surgery. He holds professorships at the University of Minnesota Medical School and the University of Utah, Moran Eye Clinic.
RESEARCH AND LEADERSHIP
Dr. Chu is a sought-after expert who has traveled the globe lecturing other physicians on cataract and refractive surgical techniques. He is a leading authority on modern innovations in cataract, refractive, and minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries. Dr. Chu has participated in more than 100 FDA-monitored clinical trials that have led to new innovations in the vision industry. He has also designed new surgical instruments that are in use today. Dr. Chu has been published in numerous peer-reviewed medical journals and is on the editorial board for EyeWorld magazine and Review of Ophthalmology. Various local and national news channels have interviewed Dr. Chu as an expert in ophthalmology, including the Today Show, The Nightly News with Lester Holt, Twin Cities Live, and Kare 11.
Additionally, he is proud to be a leader in the Minnesota area for several procedures and techniques. Dr. Chu was the first practitioner in Minnesota to provide SMILE vision correction, a cutting-edge refractive laser surgery, first to bring Implantable Contact Lenses to Minnesota, and he was also the first in the state to offer laser-assisted cataract surgery using the VICTUS Femtosecond Laser. He is also proud to be the first surgeon in the Minneapolis/Twin Cities area to provide an innovative solution for reading vision correction with corneal inlays.
Dr. Chu is committed to transforming the lives of individuals in underserved communities through his nonprofit organization, Chu Vision Foundation. He and his team travel to disadvantaged communities both globally and locally to provide education, vision correction surgery, resources, and technology. It brings him great joy to provide access to care to restore each individual’s vision, eye health, and overall well-being.
Dr. Chu is proud to be a member of the following organizations:
- American College of Ophthalmic Surgeons
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- American College of Eye Surgeons
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals
- American Medical Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Inc.
- American Society of Progressive Enterprising Surgeons
- Chinese American Ophthalmological Society
- Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Society
- Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Hennepin Medical Society
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Minnesota Academy of Ophthalmology
- Minneapolis Ophthalmic Surgery Society
- Outpatient Ophthalmic Surgery Society
- Pan American Association of Ophthalmology
- Partners for Sight
- Ramsey Medical Society
- Research to Prevent Blindness
- Refractive Surgery Alliance
- Society of Excellence in Eyecare
- Italian Refractive Surgery Society International Advisory Board
- St. Paul Ophthalmology Society
- Wisconsin State Medical Society
Dr. Chu serves on the boards of the Outpatient Ophthalmic Surgery Society, Society of Excellence in Eyecare, and Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today.
Dr. Chu resides in Edina, MN with his wife, daughter, and two dogs. In his spare time, he enjoys traveling, music, and the arts. He is a member of the boards of the Minnesota Orchestra and Walker Art Center.