- Dr. Chu is the first and only eye surgeon to perform this treatment in the state of Minnesota.
- In addition, Dr. Chu is a medical leader pioneering the use of many of the modern vision correction procedures in Minnesota.
- You’ll get time with Dr. Chu before, during, and at your follow-up
- Chu Vision has been selected to participate in over 100 FDA clinical trials.
- Dr. Chu is featured as an expert in ophthalmology and refractive lens exchange on local and national TV interviews.
- Our entire team has a calming and cheerful bedside manner.
CANDIDATES FOR SMILE
SMILE laser eye surgery is ideal for men and women with slight to severe myopia (nearsightedness) or astigmatism. Those who may not have been LASIK procedure or PRK candidates in the past could potentially benefit from this new technique. During your consultation at our Minneapolis office, Dr. Chu will assess the overall health of your eyes and determine which laser vision correction surgery is right for your needs. If LASIK surgery or PRK are ruled out, SMILE eye surgery could be an excellent alternative. Patients considering refractive error surgery should be at least 18 years old with a consistent eyeglass prescription.
HOW IS SMILE EYE CORRECTION PERFORMED?
Before we start your SMILE laser surgery, a member of our staff will numb your eyes using anesthetic drops and keep your eyes open and steady using a gentle device. During SMILE eye surgery, a computer-operated VisuMax femtosecond laser is used to create a thin, microscopic disc of corneal tissue called a lenticule that rests right beneath the surface of the eye. The lenticule of corneal tissue is then removed through a small opening, eliminating the need for a LASIK flap. SMILE is not performed on the surface of the eye, and there is no corneal flap, which means that your recovery time is often quicker than that of LASIK eye surgery or PRK. After SMILE surgery, you may experience less dry eye and discomfort throughout your healing period and in the future. SMILE laser eye surgery often takes fewer than ten minutes from start to finish and only 30 seconds of laser exposure. The majority of SMILE patients can go back to work within 24 hours following their SMILE laser eye surgery.
RESULTS AFTER SMILE
The wonderful thing is that a person’s vision often recovers very quickly after SMILE eye surgery. Since SMILE patients do not have a large incision like LASIK patients, there is less incidence of dry eyes. Patients are usually able to resume their normal activities, like swimming, outdoor sports, and more, within the first week after SMILE eye surgery.
AFFORDABLE FINANCING AND PAYMENT OPTIONS